In Episcopal churches, the Vestry is the elected governing body of the parish. In addition to the Rector, the Vestry is composed of the Senior and Junior Wardens and 12 other members who represent a broad spectrum of the St. James’ community. According to our church canons, the Vestry has responsibility for the “temporal affairs of the parish,” including the stewardship of church money and property, personnel, and program development and oversight.
What is the Vestry?
2022 Vestry Nominations
The Vestry Nominating Committee is accepting nominations for Vestry members. Click the link below for information on the nomination process and the nomination form.
Prior to coming to St. James’, Aaron served on the Vestry of St. John’s Church in Larchmont. He is on the Advisory Council for the College of Liberal Arts at his alma mater, the University of Texas at Austin.
EXPECTATIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES OF A VESTRY MEMBER
Now there are a variety of gifts, but the same Spirit; and there are varieties of service, but the same Lord; and there are varieties of working, but it is the same God who inspires them all in everyone. To each is given the manifestation of the Spirit for the common good.
– 1 Corinthians 12:4-7
- Regular Sunday worship
- Attend forums, special events and programs of the church in order to come to know and be known by the wider parish community
- Serve as a Vestry Liaison to one or two standing committees or guilds
- Attend committee meetings and events
- Participate in planning for each meeting with chair and staff liaison
Parish Leadership & Representation
- Demonstrate leadership in stewardship
- Pledge to St. James’ at the start of the annual stewardship program with tithing as a goal
- Take a leadership role as needed in annual stewardship program
- Participate in stewardship calling throughout the year
- Prayerfully consider making a planned gift to St. James’, becoming a member of The Kinsolving Society
- Count the Sunday collection at least once each month
- Support and encourage the ministry of the Rector
- Support and encourage the staff in carrying out the mission of the church
- Communicate responsibly with the congregation, the Vestry, the Rector, the staff and the community
Responsibility & Activity as a Vestry Member
- Attend all Vestry Meetings (normally 10 each year)
- Participate in Vestry subgroups as required by the current work of the Vestry
- Take part in budget development and review
- Attend the annual Diocesan Convention at least once every three years
- Participate in periodic mutual ministry review with the Rector and the rest of the Vestry
- Attend annual Vestry retreat
- Act as Vestry Greeter before Sunday Services at least once each month